Many news outlets create click worthy posts during college football, mainly for humor, but they include some important nuggets. One of our favorite places to check in is the Bottom 25, by Tom Fornelli of CBS Sports. Unfortunately for the Sun Belt, six teams appear on this list that you don’t want to be on. Plenty of it will change, and some of it might not, which is a scary proposition for the league. But what is it they say? Any news is good news? I guess if you can avoid losing to an FCS team, that might apply.
A slimmed down Sun Belt format is listed below, which led the FBS with six selections. I’ll include my own comments just for fun.
25. Texas State – Appalachian’s opponent this week is 1-1 on the season, but an unconvincing win over Houston Baptist to start the season hasn’t fooled anyone.
14. Arkansas State – One of those schools who is more than likely on this list temporarily. However they should remain in the Bottom 25 of fan bases for all the kicking and screaming they did over losing their home game to Miami when a catastrophic hurricane was bearing down on the Florida peninsula.
11. UL-Monroe – Opening week loss keeps them hanging around at 0-1. Likewise, they lost their game at Florida State due to the weather. The loss in the pocketbook hurts the Warhawks more than a fifty point defeat to the ‘Noles would have.
7. Georgia Southern – The Eagles might be climbing toward the top of this sucker before its all said and done. The FCS loss to New Hampshire and opening weekend loss to Auburn puts #FailSouthern in a perilous position if they want to return to bowl season.
3. Georgia State – The Panthers had a week off after their FCS loss to Tennessee State in their home and stadium opener. State is staring at 0-2 after their Saturday date with Penn State.
2. South Alabama. Also 0-2, but more respectably so. They have two P5 losses and a banged up starting quarterback down in Mobile. Relief is near in Alabama A&M.
- East Carolina, 6. Charlotte, 12. UMass, 16. North Carolina